Friday, July 2, 2021

Switching to Help the Environment

 

I recently discovered the Artist’s Guide to Eco-Friendly Art. Making paintings about the earth is leading me to want to make paintings that are not damaging the earth. In the Guide, I learned that the cotton canvas needed to make one of my large-scale paintings can easily take 500+ gallons of water to produce. There also is the high use of pesticides and fertilizers that are a mainstay of the cotton industry. But linen that is flax or hemp based uses much less fertilizers, pesticides and water. Linen also is stronger and more mildew resistant than canvas and has been painted on for centuries. So, once my current role of canvas is used up, I will be switching over to linen for my paintings. As I work my way through the guide, being mindful of my use of materials, I will share with you what I am doing to make my work as sustainable as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment