Tuesday, February 6, 2018

What's Happening in the Studio - February 2018


As you might have seen previously in this blog,I completed a Food Obsession painting titled If There's a Cure for This, I Don't Want It. This is part of a series of paintings talking about my food obsessions. There are certain foods I cannot pass up, even if I'm full. Since this is a dis-functional relationship with food, I am titling these (and writing the title into the composition) after phrases within popular culture that refer to dis-functional relationships. The paint on these panels is thick and luscious, enticing the viewer to fall into my emotional state and consume the painting as I would the food depicted. More of these to come.

If you would like to see a fun time lapse of the different stages of creating this painting, you can view the 24 second video at this blog entry: https://theartistsbrain.blogspot.com/2018/01/if-theres-cure-for-this-i-dont-want-it.html
I've been making some new stretchers for wood panels so I can paint more of these food paintings. That's been fun. My wood shop is ridiculously filled with furniture and other stuff from the recent move and construction, but I still wiggle out some room to make some stretchers. It is something I enjoy doing. When I was in High School I had a job working for a guy who made wooden toys. I learned to use a lot of power tools and have enjoyed doing this type of work ever since. 
And... as a teaser, here is a painting I just completed. It is drying before I take a picture of it and share with the world. It is leaning against the canvas that is my next large landscape: 8' x 4'. Getting BIGGER! Having FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment