Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Oil Paint: Salt and Pepper Shakers on Old Gesso Surface



A 4" x 4" oil painting on panel. The gesso on the panel is from an old recipe using hide glue and plaster. It is old school and I love the surface it creates.  Sometimes, with the new pre-gessoed panels I find the surface too slick. The pre-gessoed panels are spray painted with a latex or chemical based gesso that has additives to make it sprayable.   This allows for uniformity and efficiency.  Having painted on this old style surface, it feels to me like a fresco.  The paint draws into the gesso instead of sitting on top of it - almost as if it stains the surface. I can see how oil paint can layer (glaze) and create depth into the panel instead of paint building up on top of the surface. Very fascinating.  I will be experimenting more with this substrate as I can find the time to make more panels.

No comments:

Post a Comment