Monday, March 12, 2018

What's Happening In the Studio - March 12, 2018

So much has been happening in the studio this month that I only have time to share some of it with you. First, what's that up there? That is a photo of my table where I am painting small guache paintings. Guache are basically opaque watercolors. You can paint in layers like watercolors, but you can also go thicker and paint over things you painted previously. It is a nimble kind of paint.

I have begun painting small images on paper for a project I will be doing with artist Gregory Graham. We are each producing guache paintings and will be having an online auction this summer of these pieces. I will share more with you about themes and individual paintings as they develop. But in case you are wondering, yes, that is the beginning of a painting of the danish competition at the Minnesota State Fair.
I am continuing my series of paintings about food obsessions. This one will be titled I Hate Myself for Loving You. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Here is the first layer of paint blocking out the big shapes.
After a several month layoff, I have started painting my Sinkside Compost container again. After completing ten paintings of the container in 2017, I already have two completed in 2018. Here is a recent quote from a fan:

"In my opinion the compost pictures Mark Granlund makes are not only well crafted and composed, but they also tell a story about how we eat. Mark is able to make art from the edge of his sink with as much heart and thought as any contemporary artist does with sweeping landscapes of farm fields."
 - Brett Olson

Below is Sinkside Compost #12

No comments:

Post a Comment