Monday, May 1, 2017

What's Cooking in the Studio - April 2017


Since the last Cooking entry, I have completed another painting in my Sinkside Compost Series. I have a container next to my sink for food scraps. I have been making paintings on panels of this container.  This one includes asparagus stems with a blue rubberband around them, egg shells and a very dark banana peel that is hard to detect (left side of painting).


I have been trying to find just the right onion rings for a painting as a companion piece for [Cigs, Twigs and Fries](http://markgranlund.com/). I finally found them at a place in Saint Paul that we call [The Nook](http://crnook.com/). I can't tell you how they taste, as I didn't try them.  But they have just the right visual texture and size for what I envisioned. The painting includes onion rings, uncooked spaghetti noodles and compasses.


The compasses belonged to my father and are part of a set he had from an engineering drafting class he took at the University of Minnesota around 1950. I like that these are part of the painting as my dad was always up for going out to eat. We often ordered onion rings. The painting is 30" x 40" and will be in the upcoming exhibit at Banfille-Locke Art Center.

No comments:

Post a Comment