Sunday, March 19, 2017

What's Cooking in the Studio - March 2017



A couple of blog entries ago, you read about the Sinkside Compost series that I have started. Here is a photo of another compost painting I am working on. I am enjoying playing with the placement of the container on the canvas and including the bottles and glasses of which you only see parts.

I have also been working on a large 4' X 4' landscape from northern Minnesota. The challenge of this piece is to incorporate the patterned water ripples with the wilder strokes of the plants and rocks. Water can have very sharp markings, or ripples/waves, when looking at it.  Here I try to create that sharpness while trying to capture the calmness of the water by using sharp geometric shaped markings. I am complimenting this pattern with the black outlines found in the rocks and trees. To me, the North has a patterning and rhythm that is body-related, which helps me to align my self - become more grounded. I hope these paintings feel that way for the viewer.


I am still researching onion rings in order to paint the companion piece to Cigs, Twigs and Fries. Research has been intense and consistent... and may be why my doctor has recommended that I lose weight and exercise more. More on this front as it develops.


No comments:

Post a Comment